Fitted the big (and they are big) 100mm Boa Constrictors on the Boosted. Fitting them is relatively easy, it is just like swapping the stock Kegels. The big advantage they have is the off-set core which means you鸿运国际网址官网下载安装 can use the stock motor-covers, no replacement or trimming is needed.
To remove the drive-wheels:
- Wheel nut and speed-ring/washer off (don’t lose it).
- Motor-covers off.
- Carefully, wiggle the wheel and belt off (check the belts has no damage).
- Remove the long spacer and big inside speed-ring (again don’t lose it) – you鸿运国际网址官网下载安装 can leave these on if you鸿运国际网址官网下载安装 want, but I prefer not to lose them when I forget and tip the board on its side.
- Carefully (you鸿运国际网址官网下载安装 do not want to break it) lever around the pulley with a flat-edge screwdriver and prise, bit by bit, the pulley out. It will come, just be patient. If necessary, you鸿运国际网址官网下载安装 could soak in warm water to help, but mine have never needed it.
- Remove the small outside bearing from the Kegel, if you鸿运国际网址官网下载安装 are going to re-use.
To fit the new drive-wheels:
- Carefully press the pulley into the wheel – I used some silicon spray on the pulley to help it go in smooth, but it is not essential.
- Press in the outside bearing – easy to do by hand, given the large wheel.
- Put back on the large inside speed ring and long spacer.
- Put the belt on the pulley and motor and wiggle the wheel into place.
- Re-fit the motor-cover.
- Fit the outside speed ring and tighten the wheel-nut
- Important, turn the board on its side and press forcefully on the top wheel to ensure everything is in nice and tight; then reverse and do it again. Listen for clicks.
- Re-tighten the wheel nuts.
Changing the front wheels is just like with any longboard/skateboard – if you鸿运国际网址官网下载安装 are not sure how this is a good general video:
If there are rattles from any wheels when you鸿运国际网址官网下载安装 first try it, it is highly likely that things are still not fully in and it is spacers rattling. Again just turn it on its side and press hard, if you鸿运国际网址官网下载安装 hear a click, that was it.
I have not had a chance to fully ride them, but my initial impressions are (1) that the increase in ride height is very noticeable; (2) they are significantly better, the ride is better, with our crappy old victorian roads; and (3), to be expected, there is also a noticeable loss in torque and acceleration (given I am using the stock pulleys), not a party killer, but it is noticeable. I will ride more and write up a full review over the next few weeks, especially if the loss of torque is worth the ride improvement, and if it is worth changing the pulleys and belts to get back the torque.
I would also add that the massive contact patch of the new wheels, makes it feel very planted – in some ways, too planted and did not entice me to carve it; but it is early days so this might be me not used to new ride-height. Anyway, I will ride a lot more over the next few weeks and do a full review.
UPDATE: I really like these wheels and highly recommend them to anyone with a Boosted, or any e-skate that will work with a Kegel core, as a change for fun or rougher roads and pavements.
These are a well-made and quality wheel – not some cheap cold-cast knock-off. Although a slightly higher duro, 83a, than the stock Kegel, they still feel and grip the surface as a soft wheel. And with a bigger contact area, there is no loss of grip at all; in fact, more grip on sharp corners than the already excellent soft Kegels. White is not my favorite color for wheels (although strangely I like the white Alkamist Ahmyos) and it does show up dirt and grim immediately, but then we can wear that as a badge of honor and you鸿运国际网址官网下载安装 can always dye them if you鸿运国际网址官网下载安装 want another color.
Although there will be some loss of torque, I have not really noticed it and have climbed happily all the usual hills. I am no speed-demon, so maybe it is just my casual cruising around that does not push the limit of using these; anyway, if you鸿运国际网址官网下载安装 just want to cruise around, just stick these on the stock pulleys and don’t worry.
Similar with the top-speed, yes there is an increase, but I don’t really care – in my crowded city on backroads (where the police do not want us on main roads with traffic) 20mph is plenty fast enough. If you鸿运国际网址官网下载安装 want a faster board (really?), just buy or assemble a board with with more battery juice and powerful motors; just putting bigger wheels on is not the answer to you鸿运国际网址官网下载安装r speed crave.
The board does ride noticeably higher and feels a bit like a ‘boat’ – my friend’s comments of “oh’ part Boosted, part invalid mobility scooter” did may me laugh and ring a little true; but then, that is the price for greater clearance.
For me, the reason to use these wheels, occasionally or full time, is crappy roads and paths, where they make a very noticeable difference over the stock Kegels. The ride is smoother and more stress-free – you鸿运国际网址官网下载安装 just have to avoid less in front of you鸿运国际网址官网下载安装.
Last word – given how relatively easy they are to fit, these Boa Constrictors are a great option to just have in the kit-bag and swap to when you鸿运国际网址官网下载安装 fancy a change, then back to the Kegels (or Cags) when you鸿运国际网址官网下载安装 want more nimble carving. Here is the irony, swap back to the Kegels and the overall experience feels faster. Mathematically it is not, but it feels that way – I guess this down to acceleration being more noticeable than speed. Just don’t throw out those Kegels just because you鸿运国际网址官网下载安装 now have the Boas – they make a fine compliment to each other. The answer is run both.
Well done Boa (Jed), nice product – big thumbs up from me.